Thursday, February 22, 2007

New Stuff!

Elias decided to stop being amused by his swing. He's too old for that baby toy, he needs to move forward with his entertained self. So I thought about getting an exersaucer. But if he could wave off the swing after 5 months, what would be the point of buying an exersaucer, even through the classifieds, if he was going to give it the proverbial finger in no time? So I thought for another minute, and decided to give a shout out to the MOMs club that I'm a part of and see if someone had one for me to borrow for a few months. I got a response within a few hours from a MOM I'd never met who offered to leave 2 on the porch for me to drive by while she was at work and take which one I wanted, with the promise that I would give it back as soon as Elias was finished with it. OK, how awesome is that? This is the city, folks. The place where people won't look you in the eye as you pass on the street. This woman left 2 expensive toys on her front porch to help out a complete stranger. And you know it happens all the time? I'm baffled, and so very thankful.

Elias seems to really like this new toy. It's pretty fancy and makes all kinds of noises and songs.

It may also be argued, however, that Kindred enjoys it just as much, if not more. It plays Baa baa Black Sheep and Mary had a Little Lamb, and he runs and gets Lamby to dance around with him while the songs that honor Lamby play.

Kindred isn't adjusting to school as easily as one might have hoped. I appreciate the comment that said they usually take a month to really get used to the idea. It's gonna be a long month, but I am hoping he'll finally gel with it. He has friends (some of the kids yell, "Hi Kindred!" when he arrives), and he likes the teachers. He just cries a lot, apparently. So to help remedy this, I thought I'd get him a new backpack for school. He ran around with it on his back for an hour the night he got it. He helped me pack it for school with his clothes and the lunch he picked out, and then he went to school. And didn't eat a darn thing and only napped for 35 minutes in his teacher's lap. Oh well.


I also, in an attempt to show him I'm trying to be attentive to the things he likes, bought him a baby. Last week when we were at a playgroup, he found a baby doll. He picked it up and carried it over to Elias' carseat, put it gently inside, then kindly offered it Elias' chooch. It was so great that I decided he would appreciate having his own baby. He saw it and brightened up. "Baby!" he said and went right over to care for it. He is a great little dada.


So yeah, Kindred! Are ya excited about school? You wanna show off your new backpack? Maybe? ... ... Yeah? ....
No. Ok, no.

2 Comments:

At 2/24/2007 1:30 PM, Blogger Mike Stavlund said...

After much consideration, I want to go on record as saying that there is no better, more cheerful gift than that of a new backpack. Especially one as cool as Kindred's. So it is clearly just a matter of time before he turns the corner on school.

Amen.

 
At 3/01/2007 10:17 AM, Blogger Jennboree said...

He'll adjust with school, I'm sure of it! Being away from Mommy and little brother are the biggest adjustment for any kid.

Love the backpack! And awesome story of generousity about the exersaucer. Bella loved hers and still loves it now that Ava is using it.

I have heard some moms say that putting a picture of mommy in the backpack helps. Then when he misses you, he can hold and cuddle your picture.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home