Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Bring us some figgy pudding...

It's no secret that I am an NPR junkie. I almost always enjoy any story I hear on it. A few days before Christmas, there was a chef interviewed who answered the question: What the heck is figgy pudding? And I heard the recipe for it, and wow. It's a steamed cake, packed with booze. Here's a quote:
Figgy pudding — aka plum pudding, plum porridge, Christmas pudding and steamed pudding — is a quintessentially British sweet with a history that might go back to Shakespeare's time. We know it was around in the mid-1600s, because that's when the English Puritans banned it — and Christmas, too. There probably aren't too many sweets that have been banned, but then there aren't too many sweets that are as alcoholic as this one.
Seriously, it is made with a sauce that is so full of alcohol that you can actually light it on fire for a stunning presentation. (Thus the line in the famous song, "We won't go until we get some....") Makes me want to be a real cook.

But anyway, I now present to you, Our Christmas

Anxious boys gathered around the tree to see what goodies were waiting for them.

The boys get overwhelmed pretty quickly with all the present opening, so we dragged that part out throughout the day. Every couple of hours we would open another one until it was stocking time, which was nearly bedtime.


Elias is getting the hang of ripping wrapping paper. He loves to look at our tree, especially when the lights are on. He's pretty good at not tearing it up, which is a relief. He mostly stands and stares at it for a while. Sometimes he'll add a dramatic *gasp* when he gets particularly impressed. When we went to church on Christmas Eve, he tried several times to run up and stand by Pastor Maggie while she was preaching or reading, and he begged hard for bread during communion, and he was generally a little irritable. But when we sang "Angels We Have Heard on High" for our benediction, he sang loud and hard and happily right along with us.


Kindred has a favorite Christmas song. His complete enjoyment while listening to it kind of blows my mind. He requested to hear it at Christmas while I was making dinner, so I pulled it up on my iPod and attached the speakers. He stood behind me, his gaze locked and and his body immobile while, I am convinced, he pictured every move that the Little Drummer Boy made in his journey to meet Jesus, both physically and emotionally. Kindred listened intensely, his face quite serious, and when it was over he broke the silence only to ask to hear the Rum-pum-pum-pum song again, please. Then it happened all over again. It felt like I was watching my own little boy take a journey that was far beyond the boundaries of our kitchen, and I tried to breathe the moment in and savor its magic.


This was my favorite present of all. Kindred gave it to Michael and I. He made it at school and his teachers wrapped it up and sent it home with him.


After the first or second round of presents, we had dinner: Vegetarian meatloaf, mashed potatoes, creamed corn, and stuffing. And I made cranberry sauce from scratch. (Tart enough to make you cry.)


Christmas night, we put the kids to bed and had what has been called our "Grown-Up Christmas." No figgy pudding, but lots of joy and spirit, and dessert. Good, good fun. The first party of sorts that we've had in our new house.


Amber and her friend spent the night and occupied the children in the morning while we prepared to get in the car and dash away to visit my family in western PA for Christmas #3.


And here are just some goofy poses by Elias.






Merriest of merry to you!

5 Comments:

At 1/03/2008 11:42 PM, Blogger Lora Lynn @ Vitafamiliae said...

next year, you should definitely try a figgy pudding.

 
At 1/04/2008 7:02 PM, Blogger Homestead said...

We just drank a lot of booze... but a figgy pudding sounds pretty tasty.

I have a request. I love every single wall color I see in the background of your posts. Can we get a house tour (complete with paint names??) one of these days??

 
At 1/05/2008 11:47 AM, Blogger tallulah said...

I am so all over figgy pudding! Anything with figs and alcohol has got my vote!

Your home looks so full of comfort and love. You are a blessed family.

 
At 1/05/2008 12:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the pictures! The boys are just so darn cute! E and S loved the Christmas music at church too. When you said that Elias wanted the bread at Church it reminded me of when Ellie was his age and on my way back from communion, she cried "I want a snack too! I want a snack TOO!!" It was very funny. I am glad you all had a great Christmas- here's to a happy and HEALTHY 2008!!

 
At 1/09/2008 10:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love all your stories! I'm suffering from some serious Brix withdrawal, but your blog helps so much. Keep up the good work! =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home