Monday, February 04, 2008

Kindred is three years old.


You know that first scene in City*Slickers? The one where Billy Crystal's character is awakened by the phone ringing somewhere around 4am. It's his mother calling because it is his birthday, and because she remembers the very minute he was born, she calls every year on that exact minute to (animatedly) tell him the story about his birth and how happy she is that he came into her life. He has the story memorized and silently mouths it as she tells it, clearly tired and annoyed but resigned to the fact that it happens, and will happen every year.

Sometimes I think I'm going to be that mom.

I know that Kindred deserves highest honors on his birthday because it's his special day, the day to celebrate his life and the child he has become. But to me, his birthday will always be partly about me, too. On his special day, I remember what I was doing one, two, three years ago at 9:12pm, Feb 3. And I wonder if when he gets older, I will subject him to the story of his birth, in full detail and repeated in the same voice and cadence year after year until he's memorized it. I'm good at that sort of thing. I know it's silly, but shouldn't moms get a small special treat on their kids birthdays? After all, if it weren't for us....

But anyway, enough about me on my son's special day. Here are some pictures from the little party we had for him.

He wanted a fire truck cake. So I went with that theme and did my best.


I'm pretty sure he liked it.


Kindred ate the back of the fire truck, and Elias (vigorously) ate the ladder. It was plain cake with black icing. When he was finished, someone (Robb) said he looked like he was playing the part of the fireman.


He had a few friends over, and as you can see, playroom pictures only show the backs and tops of children's heads.


Other adults came too, but I didn't get many pictures of them. It was really nice to have a gathering of friends and family, and I think Kindred really enjoyed himself. He just glows when people sing happy birthday to him. When people would say, "Happy Birthday, Kindred!" he would say, "Happy birthday to you!" all smiles.


**And then the birthday was topped off by a fantastic win by Dada and PopPop's favorite team! What a great birthday!

3 Comments:

At 2/04/2008 4:27 PM, Blogger Lora Lynn @ Vitafamiliae said...

nice cake. and i'm with you. i tend to make their birthdays all about me. come back to the blog tomorrow and you'll see just how bad I am.

 
At 2/04/2008 5:40 PM, Blogger Mike Stavlund said...

that cake rox

 
At 2/04/2008 7:04 PM, Blogger lara said...

that is so funny because i was totally going to bring you a gift last night, not kindred! i guess we think a lot a like. i love you for being you meesh and thank you for letting me be a part of kindreds birth and his life!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home