Sunday, August 06, 2006

I've been given 6 hours. What do I do?

It was a long week. Hot, sweaty, oppressive, Michael wasn't home much, and everything wore on my patience. I know that this upcoming week isn't going to get any easier. It was clear to me that I needed a break. So I asked Michael to be in charge of Kindred for the day, go have some special guy time together. Michael agreed, while also demanding that I leave the house while Kindred sleeps. "3 hours out," he said. "Then when you come home Kindred and I will go run some errands for a couple of hours." Yes! So Michael got Kindred up, we went to church, came home and put Kindred to bed. I went to see a movie.

Now, I can't stand it when someone talks up a movie so muc
h that it loses all flavor by the time you see it. So I won't say much, except that I haven't had as much fun in a movie since I saw Sideways. If it becomes an option, don't pass up the chance to see Little Miss Sunshine.
(How weird. I don't normally plug movies in my blog.)

Anyway, on the way home from the movie, I realized that I've been given this chance a few times in the past several months. This "go do whatever you want" chance. And every time I think, "Yes! Whatever I want! (pause) Um, what might that be?" My first instinct is to think "Shop!" because it's nearly impossible to shop for clothes with Kindred. He doesn't really get into it (such a man) and he doesn't behave well in the fitting rooms-- when he fits in the stroller or the cart. But the fact is, I'm done shopping. I'm about to be as big as a house, and then 5 sizes smaller quite quickly within a month or so. (OK, I hope.) There is little point in shopping for clothes. Besides, we've spent far more money than we should have this summer. So I would prefer to curb the spending.

So what's next? A movie, I guess. Anything else? A pedicure? Maybe. Still a lot of $. A coffee shop? Well, OK. I don't really drink coffee and have to research the language of a coffee shop before I go in and order or else I just stand there and ask to have everything explained to me and eventually have to server just pick what they think I would like. I feel a little deficient in a coffee shop. (But proud when I learn the contents of just one hot beverage.) (Aside: when we were in the Borders last week, I ordered (after some coaching) a Vanilla Bean Frappachino. Why on earth I couldn't have just ordered a "Vanilla milkshake" baffles me. It was one and the same. At least it tasted that way. Why does everything have to be so pretentious?)

And then what to I do when I'm given a chance to be alone at home? Clean? Laundry? Dishes? Even if I wanted to scrapbook, I would have to clean first. It's sad. I just don't know what I enjoy anymore. I don't know what to do with myself when I have free time. I'm so boring!

So that's my question to you. What do you like to do when you have some of that elusive treat called "freetime"? I seriously need some suggestions.

5 Comments:

At 8/07/2006 9:52 AM, Blogger freak mama said...

I have gone through similar bouts of "Yay! Time to myself... What do I like, anyway?"
Here's an idea-- go to the bookstore and find the book "The Artists Way" by Julia Cameron. It's about reintroducing creativity into your life. I think it's the Mama Bible... because it's a way to remind you to make time for yourself. And it helps you rediscover what you love and what your passionate about.

 
At 8/07/2006 1:21 PM, Blogger Jennboree said...

First, you made me laugh with the Frapuccino order and your observance of it.

Unfortunately, I can't give you many ideas because every time my husband offers to give me a break, I usually end up wandering aimlessly in stores that I have no business being in cuz I don't need to buy anything. Then I go home after an hour of puffy feet walking.

The pastel drawings I did for baby's nursery took all of an hour so that left 2 more hours to wander. Then I just missed my family and want to be home!

I'M totally lame.

 
At 8/07/2006 2:02 PM, Blogger MeesheMama said...

I tried to do the Artist's Way when I got pregnant last time and I found that I couldn't connect with it at all because I was pregnant and really distracted by that. Birthing From Within was better then. But this pregnancy is so different and my focus so different that you may be right, it might really help. I will pull it back out. Thanks!

 
At 8/07/2006 4:38 PM, Blogger Jennboree said...

I'm going to check out The Artists Way too! God knows I need a Mama Bible :)

 
At 8/07/2006 10:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like to organize the house, paint walls, (really, it's relaxing to me), read a good book, (one that doesn't make me cry), or look through old pictures and think about good times. It's good to go back and think about what made you, you. At this point in your life, you are the person who you should be. Jim used to give me "time for Carol" when the kids were very little. It felt great to reenergize and have a clear head at least for a while. You have a good man there, he learned from one of the best. (hm) Love, Carol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home