Friday, November 03, 2006

Alone?

I haven't been alone, really alone, in my house for almost a year. This is a fact, although it seems strange, eh? And I'm not talking about my neighbors. I'm talking about the occupants of my apartment. I used to muse about how when I was pregnant I was never really alone, even if Michael and Kindred were out. So that's a solid 9.5 months of not-alone-ness, ever. Since Elias was born more than 10 weeks ago, I have not really had him much separated from me. It's that whole nursing every 2.5 hours thing. He sorta needs to hang out with me a lot. It's not that I don't want to leave him with anyone. The opportunity hasn't really come up.

Until today.

Michael and Uncle David took both boys out for a walk for nearly 2 hours this morning so I could get some work done on an auction that I am coordinating (which I'm sure I will talk more about at a later time.) I sat at the computer for longer than I have in ages, emailing, and in between making necessary phone calls and connections. No screaming and wailing in the background. When I was finished with all I could do, I looked up, and it hit me suddenly out of the blue:

I am alone.

There is no one else here in the apartment.

ohmygosh, i can smell the alone-ness!

What should I do with myself? Dishes? Prep dinner? Laundry? Ooooh, how about a nap?

I flopped down on the bed, trying to ignore the splitting headache I had acquired from being on the computer for too long, and tried to gulp down the realization of... no one. Ahhh. Silence. Perhaps peace? No, not quite yet, but close.

Michael and the boys walked in the door not 5 minutes later. But at least I had a moment to myself.

1 Comments:

At 11/04/2006 8:26 PM, Blogger lara said...

give the boys to me for a few hours this week. i could use some time with my boys!! and you could either have alone time or a date with michael!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home